Thursday, June 2, 2011

Butterfly sandwiches and pretzels

I'm pretty sure I ate an ant this morning. A real ant.

Today we went to the Arboretum for a picnic. We made butterflies out of celery sticks with peanut butter, with pretzels stuck in for wings and raisins for eyes.

The Shark calls them "fretzels."

Even if your pretzels break, you can make some lopsided butterflies.

We also made another version of butterfly sandwiches. Cut the crusts off, cut the sandwich into fourths, and arrange. We used an apple slice as the body. 

If you want antennae, you're going to have to poke holes in the apple with a knife. I crushed the pretzels trying to do it, and I think an ant crawled into my sandwich.

Extra credit: find some stickers in a drawer and put them on your sandwich bags. 

the payoff: The Shark looks over at me in the middle of the picnic and says, "What a gweat day!"  It was almost worth eating an ant for.

1 comment:

  1. Fun! I've got so many ants in my kitchen that I KNOW I've bitten into a couple lately. They have a very distinctive taste- and I immediately spit out my sandwich when I taste it.

    ReplyDelete